On 1st October, at 2. pm, the solemn ceremony of the new academic year at the University of Warsaw took place. Karol Husman, an Adjunct Professor at Stanford University, working on robotics and machine learning, delivered the first academic lecture entitled “Unordered thoughts of machines”. The recorded inauguration is available on the UW website.
There was the following order of the ceremony:
- Singing the national anthem and “Ode to Joy”;
- Prof. Alojzy Nowak, the University of Warsaw Rector, addressed our academic community with a speech opening the new academic year;
- Matriculation of first-year students of 1st and 2nd cycle studies, doctoral candidates from doctoral schools (who achieved the best results in the enrolment procedure);
- Speeches of the representative of students and doctoral candidates;
- The first academic lecture entitled “Unordered thoughts of machines” was delivered by Karol Hausman, Adjunct Professor at Stanford University.
Karol Hausman is a Senior Research Scientist at Google Brain and an Adjunct Professor at Stanford working on robotics and machine learning. He is particularly interested in enabling robots to autonomously acquire general-purpose skills with minimal supervision in real-world environments. More information about the speaker >>
The inauguration of the 2021/2022 academic year began on 1st October at 2 pm in the Auditorium Maximum building. Maintaining all the sanitary regulations aiming to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2 was required. All participants were asked to wear protective face masks.
Due to the epidemiological situation, the Adam Mickiewicz Hall in the Auditorium Maximum building was open to guests who had received invitations and had confirmed their presence.