A European University
The 4EU+ Alliance is among the consortia selected for funding in the first pilot ‘European Universities’ call for proposals, launched as part of the 2019 Erasmus+ programme. Out of 54 proposals submitted in response to the call, the European Commission selected 17 European University alliances, which will obtain funding for their projects to become the ‘European Universities’ of the future. The EC press release >>
- 10th March 2018 – the Alliance was conceived by Charles University, Heidelberg University, Sorbonne University and University of Warsaw. The 4EU partnership was formally established with the signing of a joint declaration in Paris
- October 2018 – the University of Milan and University of Copenhagen joined the consortium in the last quarter of 2018, the Alliance thus becoming 4EU+
- 17th January 2019 – rectors of the six institutions signed a Memorandum of Understanding in Heidelberg in January 2019
- 28th February 2019 – the 4EU+ Alliance submitted an application in the Erasmus+ “European Universities” dedicated call
- 26th June 2019 – the 4EU+ Alliance was selected as a pilot ‘European University’
- 7th-8th November 2019 – 4EU+ participated in the kick-off event of the European Universities Initiative which took place in Brussels
The 4EU+ mission is to develop a barrier-free and continuously deepening cooperation in education, research and innovation within the Alliance. Through this collaboration and working in partnerships, the Alliance serves society to the highest level with our core values, e.g. academic and research freedom, collaboration in an interdisciplinary approach, integrity, creativity and openness, and internationalisation.
More than 100 joint research, education and staff competence development project proposals have been put forward, with the majority of them being rooted in the 4EU+ Flagship Programmes:
- Health and demographic change in an urban environment;
- Europe in a changing world: Understanding and engaging societies, economies, cultures and languages;
- Transforming science and society by advancing information, computation and communication;
- Biodiversity and sustainable environment.
4EU+ Mission Statement