On 19th November the University of Warsaw will be celebrating its 200th birthday. On this occasion the UW prepared many events accompanying that celebration.
– Anniversaries are usually there to celebrate past achievements. But my intent is for us to focus instead on present-day challenges, on developing and planning for the future – this is what rector of the UW, Prof. Marcin Pałys said about the forthcoming celebrations.
In order to mark the 200th anniversary of university’s establishment, the special committee has arranged many scientific lectures, exhibitions, concerts and other meetings.
Among the most important events are:
13. May – the scientific achievements of UW researchers will be presented through new technologies. It will take place at the Multimedia Fountain Park. From April to November there will be the installations of scientific exhibits around Warsaw.
UW Alumni World Reunion
13-14. May – the event is dedicated to all UW alumni, students, professors, employees. In the program there are the conference “I’m from UW!” and the concert “Alumni for Alumni”.
Night of Museums
14. May – in this year the slogan of the event is “UW with the thrill”. One could discover an unknown face of the University. It will take place at the Main Campus of the UW. (Krakowskie Przedmieście Street 26/28).
Warsaw Boat Race
4. June – approximately 200 competitors from all around the world are going to take part in 4 km long race, along the banks of the Vistula. At the end of the race the University of Warsaw will be competing against the Warsaw University of Technology. This refers to an annual contest between two rowing crews from Oxford and Cambridge universities.
University’s Time Machine – the University 200 years ago
11. June – one could find out how the University looked two centuries ago, get to know the 19th century fashion, taste special dishes or play historical games. The event will take place at the Main Campus of UW. (Krakowskie Przedmieście Street 26/28)
Gala Jubilee Concert
19. November – during this event Polish composer Paweł Szymański will present his own composition created especially on the occasion of 200th anniversary of the UW. The guests will have an opportunity to hear the laureate of the 17th International Fryderyk Chopin Piano Competition. This event will take place at the Warsaw Philharmonic. (Jasna Street 5)