The University of Warsaw Senate appointed 6 members to the University Council of the University of Warsaw: Prof. Janusz Bujnicki from the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw (IMCB), Prof. Pearl Dykstra from the Erasmus University Rotterdam, Prof. Poul Holm from the Trinity College Dublin, Prof. Krzysztof Redlich from the University of Wrocław, Marynika Woroszylska-Sapieha, Member of the Supervisory Board at Santander Bank Polska S.A, Katarzyna Zajdel-Kurowska, Alternate Executive Director at the World Bank. In addition to the elected members, according to the Law on Higher Education and Science, a place for the Student Union President is guaranteed hence Kamil Bonas is also a member of the UW body.
According to the Law on Higher Education and Science, every public university is obliged to set up a new body – the university council. Its role is to give its opinion on the draft university strategy, draft statute, and the report on the implementation of the university strategy. Also, it is responsible for university financial management monitoring, university management monitoring, and appointing candidates for the rector, after obtaining the opinion of the senate.
The council may be composed of 6 or 8 members appart from the elected members, a place for a Student Union president will be guaranteed. In November last year, the UW Senate decided that the first university council at the University of Warsaw will comprise 6 elected members.
Members of the University Council of the University of Warsaw were appointed during the UW Senate meetings on 6th, 8th and 15th May.
The University Council of the University of Warsaw:
- Prof. Janusz Marek Bujnicki from the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw (IMCB), Correspondent Member of the Polish Academy of Sciences, one of the highly cited researchers – Chairman of the University Council of UW,
- Prof. Pearl Dykstra from Erasmus University Rotterdam, Member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, Deputy Chair of the European Commission’s Group of Chief Scientific Advisors that provides the Commission with high quality, timely and independent scientific advice on specific policy issues where such advice is critical to the development of Union policies or legislation,
- Prof. Poul Holm from Trinity College Dublin, former Rector of the University of Roskilde (Denmark), Member of Royal Irish Academy and Academia Europaea,
- Prof. Krzysztof Redlich from the University of Wrocław, former Member of Scientific Policy Committee of the European Organization for Nuclear Research, Correspondent Member of the Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences and Polish Academy of Sciences, Member of Academia Europaea,
- Marynika Woroszylska-Sapieha, Member of the Supervisory Board at Santander Bank Polska S.A., Medical University of Warsaw graduate, associated with the Institute of Cardiology,
- Katarzyna Zajdel-Kurowska, Alternate Executive Director at the World Bank, former Undersecretary of State in the Ministry of Finance and former Member of Management Board at the National Bank of Poland, UW Faculty of Economic Sciences graduate,
- Kamil Bonas, UW Student Union President
The term of the first University Council of UW will last until the end of 2020.
I am honored and excited to become the chairman of the first Council of the University of Warsaw, my Alma Mater.
It will be a privilege to work together with Prof. Pearl Dykstra, Prof. Poul Holm, Prof. Krzysztof… https://t.co/VeRTtKJvHO
— Janusz Bujnicki (@jmbujnicki) May 15, 2019
I’m honoured to be elected member of the Council of the University of Warsaw. Thank you for your trust. I look forward to work with some outstanding colleagues to serve a great university https://t.co/opBtGClMVU
— PoulHolm (@PoulHolm) May 15, 2019