University of Warsaw 1st and long cycle studies

The University of Warsaw has the biggest number of foreign students of all Polish schools. Currently, the University hosts around 4,200 students from abroad. The percentage of foreign students has more than doubled in the last decade. Here, people from all corners of the world meet and study in different languages, the most popular being, of course, English and Polish.


The candidates are offered a wide choice of programmes in humanities, social and natural science, as well as numerous interdisciplinary programmes which combine knowledge and skills in various fields.


Study in English

As a student from outside Poland, you can be admitted to a course run in a foreign language if:

  • you have a document (degree or diploma to confirm that you have completed a school in which you were taught in the language of your prospective course, or a certificate) to confirm that you know the language of your prospective course (at a minimum B2 equivalent level),

accepted degrees, diplomas and/or certificates

! If you are interested in studying in the English language, you may choose:

  • American studies, (spec. U.S. cultural studies)
  • Archaeology
  • English studies
    • Finance, Investments and Accounting (spec. Finance and International Investment)
  •  International Relations
  • Internal Security
  • Philosophy (spec. Warsaw International Studies in Philosophy)
  • Political Science
    • Psychology (long cycle, 5-year MA studies)


Study in Polish

! If you want to study in the Polish language, you should fulfil one of the following three criteria:

  • complete a one-year course of Polish language at one of the education institutions approved by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education >>
  • have a certificate issued by the State Commission for the Certification of Proficiency in Polish as a Foreign Language >>
  • receive a certificate from the University of Warsaw confirming that your preparation and level of proficiency in Polish allows you to undertake the studies. The language proficiency may be confirmed during an interview, in an additional exam or basing on a language proficiency certificate.

More information



You can apply to the University:

  • individually, taking part in the application procedure through the Online Candidate Registration system,
  • through the Bureau for Academic Recognition and International Exchange which directs foreigners qualified for the 1st, 2nd or long cycle studies to Polish universities without the obligation to complete a preparatory course;
  • through other entities (scientific institutes, foundations, governmental organizations) who signed Direct Cooperation Agreements with the University or e.g. by taking part in the scholarship programmes >>

Additional information

Studenci zagraniczni na UW


Application for long-term studies at the University of Warsaw may be done only through the internet. It is the first step of the admission procedure and is obligatory for all candidatesRecruitment


Admissions Office  


Office for Students’ Affairs 


See more

catalogue of studies

admissions step by step

recognition of education

IB and EB diplomas

required documents

application and tuition fee


Konstanty Kalinowski Scholarship Programme

The largest programme in Europe for young Belarusians who have not been able to study in their country because of their political views.

External linksPolish Government Scholarship

If you are interested in obtaining the grant, you should contact the Polish diplomatic mission or consular post in your country. For more information on the Polish Government Scholarships, please contact the Bureau for Academic Recognition and Student Exchange.